Subject: Re: Fwd: pkg/26633: package ABI is often broken on NetBSD due to
To: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/13/2004 12:22:44
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Nick Hudson wrote:

> > I can fix libtool for NetBSD plus the supported platforms above, but this
> > will require the following (not all of which I necessarily have the time to
> > do right now).  "Flag days" are very bad, so this should be done in a way
> > that keeps pkgsrc atomically correct.
> >
> > A single commit to pkgsrc should do all of the following:
> [fix deleted]
>
> You're happy this will workaround that fact that the major number of several
> libraries will go backwards?

Yes, I'm aware of that.  Two mitigating factors apply here:

- ELF has no idea what a "major number" is.  That's only a versioning
  convenience introduced by the -soname attribute of a shared object.  In
  reality, ELF ld(1) only looks at the unversioned .so when linking, and
  this will always point to the correct "current" version of the package.

- a.out, where version numbers do come into play, is harder to deal with,
  but its installed base is now somewhat small.  Regardless, so long as the
  old versions of libraries are properly uninstalled when replacing them
  with the new versions, this still won't be a problem.

(From what I can tell of the Darwin linker commands, it's much more ELF-like
in concept, in that an unversioned .dylib exists with information about the
version-stamped file.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>