Subject: Re: Postfix and VDA quota support
To: Simas Mockevicius <symka@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/10/2004 15:58:22
On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 11:20:35AM +0300, Simas Mockevicius wrote:

> one of users on IRC have sended me diff (see below). I have tested it, and
> it works OK. The diff will add support for VDA quota's.
> Do we want to have that option in our pkgsrc's postfix configuration?
> If yes, then maybe someone could commit it?
>
> diff:
> https://indigo.remo.lt/~symka/postfix_vda.diff

I must admit, this doesn't seem as useful as it would appear at first
glance.  This works by modifying virtual(8) to support Courier's
Maildir++, which has support for soft mail quotas.  However, this is
only useful if you are hosting multiple domains through IMAP.  I think
if you are in this situation (small ISP), then you'd want to run
something like Cyrus-IMAP, which has its own quota support and can
reject messages that exceed the quota on LMTP delivery.  I think it
would be better to run a lmtpd that supports delivery to Maildirs++
and can similarly reject messages that exceed the quota.  That way,
Postfix does not have to be patched to add this functionality to your
system.  FWIW, I am packaging http://pll.sf.net/ which should be able
to do this.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>