Subject: Re: dump/restore in pkgsrc
To: Louis Guillaume <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/03/2004 17:05:26
On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Louis Guillaume wrote:

> Does anyone know of a pkgsrc package that delivers dump and restore? I'm
> basically looking for what is in the NetBSD distribution so I can use
> these on OS X, Linux and AIX where I've found these programs to behave
> inconsistently.

I don't think anything that provides a generic dump/restore is available.

dump/restore is file system specific.

A 1995 Linux port to ext2fs (Linux filesystem) from a very old BSD UFS
version is at

An updated and maintained version for Linux ext2 filesystems is at

dump/restore is available from Darwin OS and should work for Mac OS X. (I
don't know where to retrieve at though.)

I don't know of any open source dump/restore that builds under AIX and
supports AIX's native file system(s).

Maybe the project has or will consider
including UFS (NetBSD and so on) support.

 Jeremy C. Reed