Subject: Re: Patch to resume transfers on pkgsrc (finally!)
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Marc Tooley <netbsdMLpostNO@SPAM.quake.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/28/2004 10:14:27
On Saturday 24 July 2004 02:56, Martin Husemann wrote:

> In my experience this will only succeed in a minority of the cases
> (aborted transfers happen to me if my network connection drops for
> more than a few seconds or the remote server goes down), but of
> course your milage may vary.

In the case of a transfer which is taking a long, long time, or is
user-aborted with a control-c, I find it tremendously annoying to see
pkgsrc complain about an incorrect MD5. I think it would be great if
pkgsrc noticed the file was short and tried to resume transfer.

> If we later detect a too short distfile with (of course) wrong
> checksum, I think we should have the user fix it instead of magically
> trying to refetch. If this is not what this change does, I apologize
> for my intrusion - just ignore me.

Making me do it is obnoxious. Making me do it after pkgsrc has attempted
and failed to resume it is reasonable.

-Marc