Subject: Re: USE_GNU_TOOLS+=lex is broken under Linux
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: grant beattie <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/24/2004 11:45:10

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 11:29:07AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I mentioned this before: USE_GNU_TOOLS+=3Dlex is broken under Linux

I'm not sure I'd use such strong wording - I've been using pkgsrc on
Linux for quite some time and I have flex(1) in the base system which
works with just fine. I'm not saying it could not use
improvement, however :-)

> mk/ has:
> _TOOLS_OPSYS_HAS_GNU.lex+=3D      FreeBSD-*-* Interix-*-* Linux-*-* NetBS=
> It would be better to check for a flex/lex instead of blindly assuming
> Linux has it.

> Can I fix this?
> While I am at it, may I remove Linux-*-* from _TOOLS_OPSYS_HAS_GNU.yacc
> and _TOOLS_OPSYS_HAS_GNU.patch too?
> Or maybe the should abort if really not there but is expected?

I'd rather see a test if ${LEX}, ${PATCH}, etc. point to files that
exist, and if not, then pull in the pkgsrc version to avoid
unnecessarily pulling in the pkgsrc version (most Linux distributions do
include these GNU tools, but they are not mandatory to install, so
this should address it for more than a single case).

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)