Subject: three acroread packages and acroread should be acroread4? And choosing
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/23/2004 16:31:15
Is it okay if we reimport acroread as acroread4?

We have acroread5. I don't know if acroread5 should be reimported as
acroread. But as far as I can tell, acroread 5 is the latest from
ftp://ftp-pac.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/ but the
http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html mentions version 6.

Looking closer I see the Linux choice takes you to
http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/5.x/linux-509.tar.gz
(not version 6 yet).

Also appears to be no difference in filename for full version and basic
version.

By the way, what PDF viewers do you like?

xpdf sometimes doesn't display characters -- and shows small squares.
xpdf provides X selection support (copy to paste elsewhere).
xpdf doesn't allow printing to a file.
Uses motif.

gv displays fine. But not copy. Can choose what pages to print or save.

ggv2 is a nicer interface than gv. It uses gnome and appears nicer to me.

I'd like to find a nice replacement for gv that doesn't use qt3 or gnome
libraries. Any ideas?

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/