Subject: USE_GNU_TOOLS+=lex is broken under Linux
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/23/2004 11:29:07
I mentioned this before: USE_GNU_TOOLS+=lex is broken under Linux

I am using what I thought was a well packaged SuSe Linux 9 box. This has
also happened to me on other systems.

Building libIDL failed:

checking for flex... no
checking for lex... no
./configure: line 4001: flex: command not found
checking for flex... no
checking for lex... no
checking for yywrap in -lfl... no
checking for yywrap in -ll... no
configure: error: flex is required to create the libIDL scanner
*** Error code 1

mk/tools.mk has:

_TOOLS_OPSYS_HAS_GNU.lex+=      FreeBSD-*-* Interix-*-* Linux-*-* NetBSD-*-*

It would be better to check for a flex/lex instead of blindly assuming
Linux has it.

Can I fix this?

While I am at it, may I remove Linux-*-* from _TOOLS_OPSYS_HAS_GNU.yacc
and _TOOLS_OPSYS_HAS_GNU.patch too?

Or maybe the tools.mk should abort if really not there but is expected?

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/