Subject: Re: Improving the "mail info on pkg install/deinstall" semantics
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/20/2004 19:55:20
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> However, I would really appreciate it if the "OWN_DIRS*" messages
> triggered by PKG_CONFIG=NO that mk/install/install (and
> mk/install/deinstall) display were also part of the email message.
>
> For that matter, there's other output as part of a pkg install /
> deinstall that would also be useful as part of the email to
> PKGSRC_MESSAGE_RECIPIENTS.
>
> We need a more generic framework within pkgsrc to generate messages
> that will get added to the email to PKGSRC_MESSAGE_RECIPIENTS.
> (The latter variable might be renamed if this occurs, since it would
> be more encompasing than ``email the MESSAGE file'')
>
> It looks like this feature request would require an overhaul of
> pkgsrc infrastructure.  Should I send-pr this?

Yes. I would find that useful too.

The most important thing (I believe) is too have a consistent statement on
how to use the rc.d scripts and have that automatically appended to the
+DISPLAY.

Maybe add to the msgadd() or msgprint() function in mk/install/header ?

I remember that Greg Woods shared some ideas about how the generated
+DISPLAY MESSAGE should include more too. I didn't see a PR about this
though.

See
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2003/06/12/0003.html

> (I have considered removing PKG_CONFIG=NO if I can be confident that it
> won't screw me again when I have my own config files that incorrectly
> got replaced by the "default" configs which once occurred with samba,
> leaving my samba shares "wide open" with the default smb.conf until I
> noticed the problem.)

One idea is to manually add your own comment to each config so they won't
be removed/replaced (automatically).

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/