Subject: Re: pkgsrc/AIX
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh+tech-pkg@nimenees.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/20/2004 00:26:34
On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:47:44PM -0400, Michael wrote:
> >	fwiw, I didn't have any troubles with libtool causing missing
> >	symbols,
> >although I do remember it being a little tricky to get it working at
> >all.
> >Perhaps you're getting the wrong version of libtool?
> Which version did you use? I know only my 4.3.2 and the linker is
> extremely picky. It likes only libs if they're .a archives ( when you
> use -lblah it only looks for libblah.a, contrary to the docs which say
> it also looks for libblah.so ), the runtime linker doesn't resolve half
	I believe the docs actual mean a .so _inside_ the .a. (vs. .o's within
the .a), but I haven't looked at the man pages for months.  You're using
the AIX ld right?

> Libtool seems to assume that everything ending on .a is a static
> library when linked as some/path/libblah.la which causes endless hassle
> with shared libs that link to a mix of static and other shared libs,
> like libgtk2 - in this case it ignores all the static libs. No idea how
> to resolve that, so far I'm always hacking the Makefile and add the lib
	shit.  that means they haven't released the newer version of libtool
yet.  It sure is taking long enough.  I've got a libtool package sitting
around someone that works.  I'll see if I can find it and send it to you.
There _is_ support in the very latest libtool for AIX style .a libraries,
but it got kind of screwed up because of the gnu break-in a while ago,
so they reverted the published libtool to an earlier version.

> by hand as -Wl,libwhatever.a so libtool doesn't see it - nothing I'm at
> all happy with but I have absolutely no clue how to hack libtool... but
	ugh.. hacking libtool.  *shudder*

> Then - something completely different - do you know of any way to get
> CD 2 and 3 of AIX 4.3.2 or 4.3.3 for a Motorola PowerStack II? Mine are
	no clue.  I haven't done any real admin type work on aix other than
pkgsrc, so I don't know a whole lot about installing/updating/etc.. the
base system.

eric