Subject: Re: pkgviews and updating software
To: Ossi Herrala <oherrala@ee.oulu.fi>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?C=E9sar_Catri=E1n?= C. <ccatrian@eml.cc>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/14/2004 23:51:03
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:14:36 +0300
Ossi Herrala <oherrala@ee.oulu.fi> wrote:

> Hello list
hi =3D)

> I have been using pkgviews for some time now and I have made all package
> updates with pkg_chk "magic" so far. But now I should get one package
> updated and got problems.=20
> pkgsrc package (devel/buildtool-doc) wants:
> =3D=3D=3D> Required package libxslt>=3D1.1.8: NOT found
That is because you are trying to install a bl3'd package that still has bl2
dependencies. It was a common source of mistakes due all packages couldn't
have been bl3'd at once.
A bl3'd package search only for bl3'd dependencies.
Or, you did a pkgsrc update, libxslt was bl3'd too, and 1.1.6 (bl2) was sti=
ll
installed.

> and I have:
>=20
> # pkg_info|grep libxslt
> libxslt-1.1.6       XSLT parser library from the GNOME project
>=20
> I also have the required package in depot:
>=20
> # ls -d /usr/pkg/packages/libxslt-1.1.*=20
> /usr/pkg/packages/-1.1.6         /usr/pkg/packages/libxslt-1.1.8
check which one has a +DEPOT entry in /var/db/pkg/libxslt*
the one who has it, that was bl3'd.

> What is the correct way to update libxslt from 1.1.6 to 1.1.8 with
> pkgviews?=20
pkg_delete 'ing all the old packages and installing again. That avoids
installing the bl3'd packages over the oldest ones.
Check pkg_delete -K /var/db/pkg|/usr/pkg/packages .
You can have packages in /usr/pkg/packages without their +DEPOT entry
in /var/db/pkg, and have old non bl3'd packages still installed.

> I can't pkg_delete or pkg_view delete libxslt 1.1.6:
>=20
> # pkg_delete libxslt-1.1.6
> pkg_delete: package `libxslt-1.1.6' is required by other packages:
>         gimp-2.0.2
>         librsvg2-2.6.5
>         libcroco-0.6.0
>         libgnomeui-2.6.1.1
>         libbonoboui-2.6.1
>         libgnome-2.6.1.1
> # pkg_view delete libxslt-1.1.6
> pkg_view: `libxslt-1.1.6' is required by other packages:
>         libgnome-2.6.1.1
>         libbonoboui-2.6.1
>         libgnomeui-2.6.1.1
>         libcroco-0.6.0
>         librsvg2-2.6.5
>=20
> and I can't pkg_view add either, because the old package is still there.
>=20
> Maybe there should be pkg_view update or change target to update software?
> Or is this even possible with pkgviews system?
Problems: sometimes I found that pkg_delete 'ing a package doesn't recurse.
I had to delete the packages in another process.
Deletting all the old packages and building again after a cvs update is eff=
ective.
**** The following symbolic links will be overwritten *****
check it, the links are not overwritten sometimes.
I don't know about the 'official way', I had that problem and now I have my=
=20
packages in order.

regards

C=E9sar Catri=E1n C.