Subject: Re: RFC: Handle shared dirs in pkgviews
To: Min Sik Kim <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/08/2004 13:25:33
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:35:28 -0500
Min Sik Kim <> wrote:

> I vote for this solution, but have a minor concern.  Many packages
> already have such an env variable (e.g. PKG_CONFIG_PATH of pkgconfig).
> Then wouldn't it be better to use it, instead of adding a patch to
> teach PKG_VIEWBASE, especially when we create wrapper scripts to hide

Oh, and BTW, the sematincs of these two variables could be different.
That is, the following could be equivalent:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig
export PKG_VIEWBASE=/usr/pkg

from pkgconfig's POV (when patched).  So, we need to be careful when
generating the wrappers (and, for example, avoid overriding PKG_CONFIG_PATH
if the user set it in the environment).

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -