Subject: Re: RFC: Handle shared dirs in pkgviews
To: Min Sik Kim <minskim@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/08/2004 13:25:33
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:35:28 -0500
Min Sik Kim <minskim@NetBSD.org> wrote:

> I vote for this solution, but have a minor concern.  Many packages
> already have such an env variable (e.g. PKG_CONFIG_PATH of pkgconfig).
> Then wouldn't it be better to use it, instead of adding a patch to
> teach PKG_VIEWBASE, especially when we create wrapper scripts to hide
> PKG_VIEWBASE?

Oh, and BTW, the sematincs of these two variables could be different.
That is, the following could be equivalent:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig
export PKG_VIEWBASE=/usr/pkg

from pkgconfig's POV (when patched).  So, we need to be careful when
generating the wrappers (and, for example, avoid overriding PKG_CONFIG_PATH
if the user set it in the environment).

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/