Subject: Re: BUILD_DEPENDS and builtin.mk
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/07/2004 12:20:01
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> just found that a builtin.mk file is ignored if the
> dependency is established by just a BUILD_DEPENDS.
> So it appearently needs a full ".include buildlink3.mk"
> and a "BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD=build" to make this work
> as desired.
> Is this intended?

Yes, the builtin.mk is for buildlink3.

> Is direct use of BUILD_DEPENDS deprecated?

I do not think so.

I see you already updated cdrecord and added builtin.mk and buildlink3.mk
for groff.

I don't understand why the buildlink3 is needed. I do see that the
builtin.mk logic is useful.

I have a PR similar to this:
NetBSD Problem Report #23010: x11/openmotif needs tbl
http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=23010

tbl is (was?) used in comms/ifcico-cm/Makefile, x11/openmotif/Makefile,
mail/fetchmail/Makefile, and net/netatalk-asun/Makefile.

There has been some discussion on having an improved tools.mk (so would
not be just for "GNU"). Maybe it would be useful for tbl too.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/