Subject: Re: trying to understand buildlink3
To: Roland Illig <roland.illig@gmx.de>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/03/2004 15:45:03
On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 03:00:42PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> I have some problems with buildlink3. I'm trying to build
> security/zebedee on Linux, but there are some libraries missing. So I
> thought I just included "../../cat/package/buildlink3.mk" and be happy.
>
> But both archivers/bzip2 and archivers/zlib don't define the variable
> BUILDLINK_LDFLAGS to be "-lbz2" or "-lz", respectively. Is that the
> intended behaviour or do I just don't know buildlink3 good enough?

The program must know itself against which libraries it wants
to link.
bl3 is for making exactly the specified libraries available
to the program (and not any others that also might be on the
system) and to do that in a standard location (hiding some differences
between platforms that have more/less libraries in the base system).

 Thomas