Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/wm
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/02/2004 13:36:36
On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> > > - Disable i18n under NetBSD < 2.0.  It doesn't let icewm run (even when
> > >   pkgsrc's libiconv is used).  If anybody has a better way to really
> > >   solve the problem...).  Fixes PR pkg/23979 by syn at
> >
> > Thanks. It is strange, because it works fine on other Linux distros, but
> > not pkgsrc under Linux.
> Hmm... I only added the "fix" for NetBSD.  Maybe icewm under Linux uses
> iconv in glibc or something like that when built outside pkgsrc?
> (Anyway, the configure script suggests installing libiconv, which is what
> our libiconv package provides)...

I now built this newly updated wm/icewm under Linux. Mine configured with:

--without-libiconv-prefix --without-libintl-prefix

(I don't need that support from packages because I use glibc on Linux. I
have no changes at all in wm/icewm*.)

CONFIG_I18N and ENABLE_NLS were both defined by the configure.

It now works for me! I no longer get that "IceWM: iconv doesn't supply
(sufficient) 646 to Unicode converters" problem.

And NLS/i18n support appears to work:

 IceWM: Un autre gestionnaire de fentres tourne dj, fin...
(that was when I was running another window manager at same time)

I tested by running icewm on a remote Linux system to manage my local
NetBSD X desktop. But now I continuously receive:
 IceWM: Warning: Failed to copy drawable 0x34000e8 to
 pixel buffer

PR 26053 and PR 23979 can probably be closed once the Originators have

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links