Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/wm
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/02/2004 13:36:36
On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> > > - Disable i18n under NetBSD < 2.0.  It doesn't let icewm run (even when
> > >   pkgsrc's libiconv is used).  If anybody has a better way to really
> > >   solve the problem...).  Fixes PR pkg/23979 by syn at sceen.net.
> >
> > Thanks. It is strange, because it works fine on other Linux distros, but
> > not pkgsrc under Linux.
>
> Hmm... I only added the "fix" for NetBSD.  Maybe icewm under Linux uses
> iconv in glibc or something like that when built outside pkgsrc?
>
> (Anyway, the configure script suggests installing libiconv, which is what
> our libiconv package provides)...

I now built this newly updated wm/icewm under Linux. Mine configured with:

--without-libiconv-prefix --without-libintl-prefix

(I don't need that support from packages because I use glibc on Linux. I
have no changes at all in wm/icewm*.)

CONFIG_I18N and ENABLE_NLS were both defined by the configure.

It now works for me! I no longer get that "IceWM: iconv doesn't supply
(sufficient) 646 to Unicode converters" problem.

And NLS/i18n support appears to work:

 IceWM: Un autre gestionnaire de fentres tourne dj, fin...
(that was when I was running another window manager at same time)

I tested by running icewm on a remote Linux system to manage my local
NetBSD X desktop. But now I continuously receive:
 IceWM: Warning: ypixbuf.cc:944: Failed to copy drawable 0x34000e8 to
 pixel buffer

PR 26053 and PR 23979 can probably be closed once the Originators have
tested.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/