Subject: Re: package containing a jar
To: Roland Illig <roland.illig@gmx.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/30/2004 22:28:46
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:15:51 +0200
Roland Illig <roland.illig@gmx.de> wrote:

> Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 02:31:22AM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> >>For wip/igowin (a Win32 Go playing program) I had taken the approach
> >>to install everything into ${PREFIX}/share/${PKGNAME}. I just don't
> >>see why java applications should all go into a directory
> >>${PREFIX}/java/jar, as that is what the name ${PREFIX}/java/jar
> >>suggests.
> >
> > fwiw, ${PREFIX}/lib{exec,data} sound more appropriate than
> > ${PREFIX}/share.
>
> Accepted. libdata applies for me. I didn't know before that /share/ is
> reserved for text files. :)

libdata doesn't seem correct.  From hier(7):

                libdata/  miscellaneous utility data files
                libexec/  system daemons & system utilities (executed by other
                          programs)

So libdata is to be used by files generated by or used by libraries and
programs, AFAIU.  Like keeping a plugins database, or a binary database,
etc.  Not for the code itself.

libexec seems the best solution to me too, and I think I'll change devel/ltsa
to use it too.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/