Subject: Re: [change request] pattern for patch filenames
To: Roland Illig <roland.illig@gmx.de>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/29/2004 09:28:04
--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 06:01:51PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> I would like the pattern for patch filenames to be changed. In general=20
> it is the shell pattern "patch-*", but there are two occurrences of the=
=20
> AWK pattern "patch-[A-Za-z0-9]+". I would like to have the underscore=20
> ("_") included in the allowed letters.
>=20
> With this change we could name the patch files after the files they=20
> patch ("patch-src_inode_c"), not with some arbitrarily chosen number=20
> ("patch-af").

I actually find encoding the target filename in the patch filename a
bit superfluous -- it's already at the top of the patch file.

I would support naming patches after their purpose/function which is
much more useful:

patches/patch-statvfs_1
patches/patch-statvfs_2 (if there are multiple files that need patching..)

imho, of course.

g.

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj--