Subject: Re: Builk build vs. p5-Test-Harness
To: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
From: Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/22/2004 21:16:11

> It seems to me that the root problem is that we potentially
> have more than one valid dependency tree for a given package.
> Its some what goofy in that the dependency tree you get will
> depend on the order in which you happened to build packages.
> I'd like to see the bulk build system somehow decide which
> it will be up front.  Then the problem you're having here
> should go away.

I should also mention that it solves other problems created by
having "either or" style dependencies.  The current bulk build
system proceeds in a bottoms up order to ensure that dependencies
are already built before higher level packages.  This was implemented
because previously packages were built in order by category and
then alphabetically.  But what happened is that you could re-run
the build several times and find that things like kde were
rebuilt over and over and over because their dependencies kept
getting rebuilt due to incorrect order.

Without having a correct dependency tree up front, you can't quite
get the order correct.  This is why we've seen problems with
packages trying to install both perl-5.6 and perl-5.8.

I think this figuring out of the true dependency tree up front
in the face of "either or" depends is the real bug to fix.

-Dan