Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/lang/libtcl-nothread
To: Jim Wise <>
From: Matthias Drochner <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/22/2004 22:11:41 said:
> this is a crutch to avoid fixing packages which do not use the real
> libtcl

Imo, this is not about "fixing packages". One just can't load
libpthread implicitely via dlopen() into a program which wasn't
built against libpthread from the beginning. I believe so at least.
There are two ways out: Either libtcl does something like libX11 -
using the libc threadlib stubs, or we can't speak of a "real libtcl"
-- we need a threaded and a non-threaded version. The former one
would be pretty invasive, so I resorted to the latter.

> show a single instance of a package which could
> not, by linking correctly, be used with a correctly-compiled tcl

postgresql-pltcl is an example. One could link against
libpthread, but (unless someone convinces me that I'm wrong and
linking in libpthread at runtime is harmless) I'm sure this would be
a bad idea. I'm not going to doubt libpthread's stability (in 2.0
at least), but it is unnecessary technically, and just not worth
the risk.

> if we follow the logic by which you created this
> package, you should immediately create a lang/libtcl-nolibm package

The difference is that libm can be linked into a running process
without side effects.

best regards