Subject: Re: bsd.pkg.mk in small pieces.
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/22/2004 13:19:21
On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:31:32AM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> One of the things I used to like about bsd.pkg.mk was that everything
> was in one file.  However, I realise that that one file has grown too
> big.

Yes, and that was exactly the point AFAIU.

> My thoughts were to take all of the non-essential targets and
> supporting definitions/targets etc out into their own file - things
> like print-PLIST, README, README.html etc, and only include that
> secondary file if the target was needed.  The idea was that those
> targets mentioned above (plus others like show-downlevel etc) are not
> needed in the main scheme of things (and by that I mean:  fetch,
> checksum, patch, buildlink, configure, all, install), and so don't
> need to be in the critical path.  I did some timings on it at one
> stage, though, and found that there was no noticeable speed-up in the
> grand scheme of things, so I discounted it. I also mentioned this
> at pkgsrccon2004, but I suppose it got lost in the noise.

I don't think that speedup is the main target here (though, of
course, it would be nice to have) -- there's also the idea of making
it more readable and easier to understand. Also, if one knows that
in bsd.pkg.extract.mk there is only the stuff to support extraction,
then it's easier to understand and limit the reach of changes.  If
all the targets are in one file, there's the additional overhead
of having to find out that changing a particular part effectively
only changes the extraction.

 Thomas