Subject: Re: in small pieces.
To: Alistair Crooks <>
From: Juan RP <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/22/2004 12:39:07

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:31:32 +0100
Alistair Crooks <> wrote:

> One of the things I used to like about was that everything
> was in one file.  However, I realise that that one file has grown too
> big.

That's the problem, is +5000 lines actually.
> My thoughts were to take all of the non-essential targets and
> supporting definitions/targets etc out into their own file - things
> like print-PLIST, README, README.html etc, and only include that
> secondary file if the target was needed.  The idea was that those
> targets mentioned above (plus others like show-downlevel etc) are not
> needed in the main scheme of things (and by that I mean:  fetch,
> checksum, patch, buildlink, configure, all, install), and so don't
> need to be in the critical path.  I did some timings on it at one
> stage, though, and found that there was no noticeable speed-up in the
> grand scheme of things, so I discounted it. I also mentioned this
> at pkgsrccon2004, but I suppose it got lost in the noise.

I thought that changing the targets like:

.if make(foo)
.include "../../mk/"
foo: real-foo

Could improve the speed, but if you have already tried it, I'll spend my time in
another things...

> What you have done is great, but I don't really see the point in
> switching out to separate files for each critical target in a main
> build.

Ok, so isn't there any interest on this?

	Juan RP <>

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)