Subject: Re: bsd.pkg.mk in small pieces.
To: Juan RP <juan@netbsd.graffitipr.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/22/2004 11:31:32
On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:51:01AM +0200, Juan RP wrote:

> As Johnny C. Lam suggested in pkgsrcCon 2004, I'm trying to
> split out some things from bsd.pkg.mk in small files...
>
> At this moment I got this:
>
> 	bsd.pkg.mk
> 		|-- bsd.plist.mk
> 		|-- bsd.extract.mk
> 		|-- bsd.fakepkg.mk
> 	      ????
>
> how many files do we want? do you have any suggestion?

One of the things I used to like about bsd.pkg.mk was that everything
was in one file.  However, I realise that that one file has grown too
big.

My thoughts were to take all of the non-essential targets and
supporting definitions/targets etc out into their own file - things
like print-PLIST, README, README.html etc, and only include that
secondary file if the target was needed.  The idea was that those
targets mentioned above (plus others like show-downlevel etc) are not
needed in the main scheme of things (and by that I mean:  fetch,
checksum, patch, buildlink, configure, all, install), and so don't
need to be in the critical path.  I did some timings on it at one
stage, though, and found that there was no noticeable speed-up in the
grand scheme of things, so I discounted it. I also mentioned this
at pkgsrccon2004, but I suppose it got lost in the noise.

What you have done is great, but I don't really see the point in
switching out to separate files for each critical target in a main
build.

Regards,
Alistair