Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/multimedia/gmplayer
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/21/2004 17:42:03
--KscVNZbUup0vZz0f

[moved to tech-pkg]

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 09:26:04AM +0200, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> > no, it doesn't, but they should all be in one place, which is the
> > reason why the change was made.
>=20
> The initial change should never have made because it opened the door for
> future maintenance problems. The incomplete contents of
> "pkgsrc/multimedia/mplayer-share/distinfo" caused by the recent change
> demonstrated that nicely.

I strongly disagree, Matthias. that was caused by committer error.
"cvs diff", something we should all be doing before committing, would
have picked this up. yes, I know we don't all do it all the time, but
that is another issue, and mistakes do happen :-)

> > please back this out and fix it properly.
>=20
> I already did that. Shared distinfo files are a good idea for packages
> with identical distribution files. But that is not the case here.

they share a number of files (iirc, gmplayer distfiles are a superset of
mplayer) so it makes perfect sense to share the checksum info.

and on the contrary, the maintenance nightmare is having *two separate*
files with ~identical contents because shared contents is often missed
when someone updates one or the other package.

anyway, there was good reason why mplayer/gmplayer share a distinfo
file, but this was ignored and a single commit error does not provide
justification for reversing such a change.

all I can suggest is that we are more careful before committing things
in the future, and if it's not obvious why something is done the way
it is, the commit log should probably be more verbose.

(side: if that committer is me, I would personally prefer being
contacted about a change first, though others may feel differently
about it.)

grant.

--KscVNZbUup0vZz0f

--KscVNZbUup0vZz0f--