Subject: p5- doesn't like Perl?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/19/2004 11:35:45
===> Installing for p5-Test-Harness-2.40
===> Becoming root@oak.schemamania.org to install p5-Test-Harness.
/usr/pkg/bin/sudo ===> p5-Test-Harness-2.40 conflicts with installed
package(s): perl-5.8.4  found.
*** They install the same files into the same place.
*** Please remove perl-5.8.4  first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

I don't understand....  How can I remove Perl to install a Perl module?  I
have:

$ pkg_info |grep -E 'perl|p5' |awk '{print $1}'
perl-5.8.4
p5-XML-Parser-2.31nb1
p5-Data-ShowTable-3.3
p5-Test-Simple-0.47
p5-DBI-1.41
p5-DBD-mysql-2.1017
p5-Term-ReadLine-1.14

Built from a current pkgsrc tree.

I might have tripped on something, so let me be clear about what I did.

1.  mv /var/db/pkg /var/db/pkg.old
2.  LOCALBASE=/usr/.pkg.2004-06-17
3.  X11BASE=/usr/.X11R6.2004-06-17
4.  Unpack xbase and xcomp into $X11BASE
5.  Adjust path to point to these places.
6.  export PATH LOCALBASE X11BASE

Build 144 packages, list derived from pkg_info -K /var/db/pkg.old.  I'm up
to 147.  ;-)  (The new list apparently has more dependencies.)

I'm quite pleased with the results, BTW.  By moving /var/db/pkg, I
preserved my existing setup while telling the package system I have
nothing installed.  By telling it to install to new locations, I don't
interfere with my running system.  When I'm done, it's a simple matter of
"ln -s" to start using my new system, and just as simple to revert.

Initially I didn't adjust the path.  That confused configure scripts that
call things like GNU's pkg-config.

Many thanks for any help.

--jkl

Here's the old list, in case it matters:

$ pkg_info -K /var/db/pkg.old |grep -E 'perl|p5' |awk '{print $1}'
perl-5.6.1nb7
p5-Data-ShowTable-3.3
p5-DBI-1.37
p5-DBD-mysql-2.1017