Subject: Re: Removing obsolete packages
To: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/12/2004 20:45:31
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, grant beattie wrote:

> On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 12:16:55AM +0200, Krister Walfridsson wrote:
>
> I don't know much about the different motif implementations - is pkgsrc
> support for motif 1.2 gone now? is 2.0 fully backward compatible for
> apps which need it? should all motif 1.2 pkg references be changed to
> something else?

See item 23 of the Motif FAQ.

   http://www.faqs.org/faqs/motif-faq/part2/

The answer seems to be "yes", for well-written apps. The documented,
detailed technical exceptions are few in number.

> another option is to bring back x11/lesstif12 until this is sorted out
> (I'm concerned about breakage on the branch due to the missing pkg).
>
> comments?

The only application in pkgsrc that formally required lesstif12 has
been removed, too. Other packages that were written for Motif 1.X
(like graphics/pixmap), work fine with the OpenMotif in pkgsrc--the
Open Group's OpenMotif 2.1.30--which should be bug for bug compatible
with the latest commercial Motif, as they're from the same codebase.
[Note, there are other "openmotif"'s floating around which break even
source-level compatibility with the latest commercial Motif.]

Even lesstif (latest) includes the undocumented _Xm functions of Motif
1.2:

   http://www.lesstif.org/FAQ.html#QU4.5

I submit, all references to lesstif12 should simply be expunged.

Frederick