Subject: Re: graphics/gd with/without X11 support.
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
From: Juan RP <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/10/2004 09:51:58

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:45:04 +0200
"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <> wrote:

> What's wrong with...
> DEPENDS+=	gd{,-nox11}>=version
> ?

We need to use the buildlink file, right? to get the libraries/headers AFAIK.
> I guess that gd{,-nox11} could pick gd by default, while gd{-nox11,}
> could pick gd-nox11.  If this works, you only need a variable to specify
> the order in which the dependency is specified (i.e., GD_USE_X11=yes)
> and use it from the right file.
> Adding an extra mk file for just this looks like making things more
> complicated...

GD_USE_X11 sounds better than PKG_GD_DEFAULT.
> And a question.  Why does gd need X11?  For xpm output support _only_?
> If so, I think it could make more sense to make gd use no x11 at all and
> create a new gd-x11 package that provides everything.  Only people
> wanting xpm support (anybody?) will have to deal with setting a variable,
> but the _default_ could be more sane.  (i.e., beeing able to install php
> with gd in a server without X, a quite normal setup).

I created this to not touch the and modify the original
package (just disabling xpm/USE_X11), but I vote for removing X11 support
from the current gd package and create a new one gd-x11 as you said.

We need gd without x11 support, and this needs to be fixed just after the

Ok, so I'll change it to use GD_USE_X11 and putting it into the buildlink3.

	Juan RP <>

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)