Subject: Re: Package Naming for Multiple Versions
To: Marc Recht <marc@geht.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/09/2004 09:07:07
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Marc Recht wrote:

> >     /usr/pkg/bin/psql73		-> /usr/pkg/bin/pgsql73/bin/psql
> >     /usr/pkg/bin/psql74		-> /usr/pkg/bin/pgsql74/bin/psql
> >     /usr/pkg/bin/psql		-> /usr/pkg/bin/pgsql74/bin/psql
>
> I'm not that sure about this, but that might just be me. ;-)

I'm not either. Just throwing out an idea to kick around. Some people do
just want to install a package, type "psql," and be connected. Maybe it
can't (or shouldn't) be done, though.

> But we also need the infrastructure to build other packages against
> the different PostgreSQL libs. That part is nearly complete (a bl3.mk
> modeled after lang/python/pyversion.mk).

Ah. I'd forgotten about that. That's the difficult bit.

Though I'm not sure it's really all that necessary, given that most
things are just using client code, right?

> Since I'm going to vacation next week, don't expect anything soonish.
> End of June would be realistic.

That's reasonble, I think, especially if you're doing the work instead
of me!

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org