Subject: Re: Package Naming for Multiple Versions
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/09/2004 08:21:57
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Nevertheless, databases/postgresql is confusing. So the
> databases/postgresql directory probably should be removed. And then just
> name it databases/postgresql73.

Right. I agree completely.

As well, for these packages to be of practical use to serious users of
postgresql (that being anybody who uses it on production systems with
minimal downtime and who ever upgrades), we need to be able to install
multiple versions at once. (Not being able to do this makes the 7.4
package useless to me, actually. Or the 7.3 one.)

Basically, postgresql needs to be installed under /usr/pkg/pgsqlNN (or
whatever directory name--so long as it has the version number), we need
/etc/rc.d/pgsqlXX start/stop scripts, and so on.

To make life easier for certain users, we might be able to work out some
sort of symlink thing doing stuff like

    /usr/pkg/bin/psql73		-> /usr/pkg/bin/pgsql73/bin/psql
    /usr/pkg/bin/psql74		-> /usr/pkg/bin/pgsql74/bin/psql
    /usr/pkg/bin/psql		-> /usr/pkg/bin/pgsql74/bin/psql

but all sorts of details would have to be worked out about that. But
Marc Recht said he'd work this out after the freeze, which makes me
quite happy. Or if he runs out of time, I could probably find some time
to work on this.

This whole thing was prompted by an unfortunate misunderstanding, that's
all. I got the impression from the comments of a fairly senior pkgsrc
developer that the current naming and install scheme was the right way
to do things, and it must not be changed.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org