Subject: Re: Package Naming for Multiple Versions
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/08/2004 15:26:13
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Curt Sampson wrote:

> Can someone explain to me our package naming conventions when we have
> multiple versions? If there's no version number on the package, when is
> it the latest version and when is it an older version? For example, why
> is the "postgresql" package the obselete 7.3 version, and "postgresql74"
> the current version?
>
> (I have been told that this naming scheme is the correct naming scheme;

Usually the normal release is the package directory without any version
number. And then older versions (if still needed) have a directory name
with the version number.

As for postgresql, I don't know. Both 7.3.x and 7.4.x are official
releases. But now 7.3.x could be considered the old release because new
updates are only bug fixes.

> I'm just trying to figure out why. And I have seen it annoy at least
> one user I'd converted from Linux, who, at my suggestion, did a "cd
> /usr/pkgsrc/*/postgresql && make install," discovered he'd gotten a
> version superseded months ago, and so went and did a download of 7.4
> from postgresql.org and built himself in /usr/local. You can probably
> tell I don't think the above naming scheme is very intuitive.)

Yes, databases/postgresql should be the 7.4.x version. Please file a PR on
this so it can be fixed after the package freeze (or maybe during).

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/