Subject: Re: How to fix tkgate?
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Dan Winship <danw@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/08/2004 16:42:17
> I could patch tkgate to link against -lpthread too, but this doesn't look
> right (because thread usage is "hidden by" libtcl84, and not used directly
> in the program).

And it's also NetBSD-specific... The set of libraries libtcl depends on is
different on different platforms. But they're always recorded in
tclConfig.sh, so pulling the info out of there will work everywhere.

> The other solution is to patch tcl so that the library ends up linked
> with whatever else it needs.  I guess this is the best solution, right?
> Does this work on all platforms we support?

Does AIX support inter-library dependencies? I think that's probably
the cruftiest platform pkgsrc supports.

If you force all libtcl-using packages to use libtool though, then
definitely yes, since the deps would be recorded in the .la file and
libtool will pull them in by itself if it needs to.

-- Dan