Subject: Re: gtk2 and fonts problems
To: Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@netbsd.org>
From: Sebastian Prause <sebastian-p@gmx.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/03/2004 13:58:30
* Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@netbsd.org> wrote:
| Has anyone else had font problems with gtk2 programs lately?
|
| I'm running on a 1.6.2 alpha and when running any gtk2 program,
| even gtk-demo, I get:
|

| ** (gtk-demo:24016): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Helvetica 10
|
| ** (gtk-demo:24016): WARNING **: Cannot open fallback font, nothing to do
|
| I have run fc-cache as instructed by fontconfig.
|
| This wasn't a problem with gtk2+-2.2.0nb3 but is a problem with gtk2+-2.4.1nb1
| but I don't know what all else may have changed in between then and now.
|
| Any suggestions?

I have the same problem with gtk2 not finding fonts. I recognized this
because firefox-gtk2 crashes every time a website defines one of those
missing fonts. As a workaround I enabled "Always use my fonts" in the
firefox options (using Bitstream Vera fonts there). My gtk-theme uses
Verdana or Bitstream Vera Sans, so I never see any warning when starting
gtk2 programs, but I see them if I select those fonts in gvim...

This behaviour occurred after updating my system to the latest
fontconfig (2.2.2) (I used gtk 2.4.0 before that update and it worked
fine).

   -- Sebastian Prause