Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/lang/gccAda-3.4
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/01/2004 15:03:44
--RDS4xtyBfx+7DiaI

"John R. Shannon" <john@johnrshannon.com> wrote:
=20
> I'm about to commit a gcc 3.4 package. These comments apply to both.
>=20
> I think that we probably want both for awhile. With gcc 3.4, there are=20
> entirely new c++ and fotran front-ends. The Ada build process has changed=
=20
> significantly; I was unable to follow the gcc3 package structure.
>=20
> With the new C++, a number of packages do not build.

If we want to keep both, then the currently existing lang/gcc3-* are not
named correctly, as they would in fact be gcc3.3-*.

> > > Update of /cvsroot/pkgsrc/lang/gccAda-3.4

Does this mean that the import of gcc-3.4 would lead to the following
packages:

lang/gcc-3.4
lang/gccC-3.4
lang/gccC++-3.4
lang/gccF77-3.4
lang/gccJava-3.4
lang/gccObjc-3.4

IMHO that's pretty ugly.  Maybe that should then be:

lang/gcc3.4
lang/gcc3.4-ada
lang/gcc3.4-c
lang/gcc3.4-c++
lang/gcc3.4-f77
lang/gcc3.4-java
lang/gcc3.4-objc

But as I said, then we probably would have to rename the existing gcc3
packages.  Neither sounds appealing to me.

*shrug*

I do appreciate your work on getting 3.4 into pkgsrc - thanks for that.
I just noticed the ada package as being oddly named, as I haven't
followed pkgsrc-wip.

-Jan

--=20
This one's tricky. You have to use imaginary numbers, like eleventeen...

--RDS4xtyBfx+7DiaI

--RDS4xtyBfx+7DiaI--