Subject: Re: RFC: Subpackages from a single package Makefile
To: Johnny C. Lam <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/01/2004 10:05:51
On Sun, 30 May 2004, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

: I've attached a proposal to allow generating multiple subpackages from
: a single package directory.  I would appreciate comments on:

:  (2) Every subpackage has all of the "real" dependencies of the main
:      package.

I don't like this as-is, as it does prevent the introduction of the
"runtime/devel split" that has been so greatly desired on, say, HPCs.
However, if a granular DEPENDS could be introduced (speculating here), you
could fix this issue.

Let's say the package is "foo" and there is a "foo-lib" runtime subpackage
being generated with it.  They depend on "bar" for compiling, and "bar-lib"
for runtime (and, implicitly, compiling).  So:		bar>=1.0:../../foo/bar
DEPENDS=		bar-lib>=1.0:../../foo/bar

Here, DEPENDS is for the main package "foo" and its subpackage "foo-lib",
but only applies to the main package "foo".  Hence, from binary
packaging, only bar-lib is needed if foo-lib is installed.

Effectively, the acts like a BUILD_DEPENDS to foo-lib, and could
even be recorded as a @blddep in its +CONTENTS if you so desired.

-- Todd Vierling <> <>