Subject: Re: how to determine the number of processors
To: Klaus Heinz <>
From: Georg Schwarz <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/31/2004 11:18:02
Please disregard my previous mail; I mistook processors for processes :-)

> I would like to know how to determine the number of processors under the
> different supported operating systems:

> IRIX5:

/usr/sbin/mpadmin -n |/sbin/wc -l should do.
mpadmin(1) says:

     -n        Report which processors are physically configured.  The numbers
               of the physically configured processors are printed on the
               standard output, one processor number per line.  Processors are
               numbered beginning from 0.

> While we're at it, I also need the identifier Perl assigns to those
> systems (I know already: netbsd, freebsd, linux, solaris, hpux, dec_osf)
>   perl -e 'print "$^O\n";'

Georg Schwarz     +49 177 8811442