Subject: Re: more questions
To: Dan Winship <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/22/2004 12:16:28
On Sat, 22 May 2004, Dan Winship wrote:

> On May 22, 2004, at 1:58 PM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > I set PREFER.ncurses=pkgsrc but mk/buildlink3/ has:
> >
> > .for _pkg_ in ${BUILDLINK_PACKAGES}
> > PREFER.${_pkg_}?=       pkgsrc
> > .  if !empty(PREFER_NATIVE:M[yY][eE][sS])
> > PREFER.${_pkg_}=        native
> > .  endif
> >
> > So it is immediately reset to native.
> Yeah, you're not supposed to set yourself. You want to do:
> PREFER_PKGSRC+=ncurses

Why can we set in our own mk.conf files? Usually we prefix
variables with "_" (underscore) to be private.

Please see my previous email about "how does devel/libgetopt/
work?".  It said I had:

  PREFER_NATIVE+= gettext

  So now PREFER_NATIVE=yes is not set.

And then PREFER_NATIVE didn't include getopt so psmisc buildlinking

So if we can't define then we have to remember to set
PREFER_NATIVE and PREFER_PKGSRC to every package needed. How can someone
easily know?

 Jeremy C. Reed