Subject: Re: Removing obsolete packages
To: Georg Schwarz <>
From: Frederick Bruckman <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/19/2004 12:55:41
On Wed, 19 May 2004, Georg Schwarz wrote:

>> net/archie
>> net/xarchie
>>   There does not exist any public archie servers these days.
> It wouldn't hurt to leave these in nonetheless. Maybe someone is running
> archie non-publicly? :-)

No, no one is. (Do you know anyone who is?) Basicly, that new-fangled
"web" thing has made archie/gopher/veronica perfectly obsolete.

>> www/arena
>>   Unusable.
> why? Doesn't it work?

It produces garbled output at best; at worst, it dumps core. Try it
yourself, and tell us what you think.

What we're looking for here, is for a user to say, "Yes, I use that
package for ____.", which would be enough to grant a stay of execution.

What we don't need to hear (IMO), is the uninteresting assertion that
somoene, somewhere, could be using these packages. By that standard,
nothing could ever be removed.