Subject: Re: Building without "modern" font support
To: None <>
From: Jukka Salmi <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/19/2004 02:05:47
Martin Husemann --> tech-pkg (2004-05-18 19:38:47 +0200):
> So I rebuild everything without the PREFER_NATIVE* stuff - and the result
> is even worse. So I filed a PR about it:
>   pkg/25624: font rendering broken
> There is a screenshot at,
> since it's hard to believe how bad it is w/o looking at it. This screen is
> on a TFT, and gnome-font-properties is set to sub pixel smoothing, and
> full hinting.
> Martin

I just rebuilt two NetBSD (i386) systems and all their packages from scratch:
- system A uses HEAD sources (src, xsrc and pkgsrc)
- system B uses netbsd-1-6 (src and xsrc) and HEAD (pkgsrc) sources
I.e. A runs NetBSD 2.0E and XFree86 4.4.0, and B runs NetBSD 1.6.2_STABLE
and XFree86 4.3.0.

On both systems I installed fonts/ms-ttf and added a Tahoma TTF manually.
I'm using neither Gnome nor KDE; I only noticed a difference in how fonts
are displayed in firefox-gtk2: very nice on system B, not so nice (depends
on the font) on system A. Here are some screenshots: the NetBSD website[1],
as seen by system A[2] and by system B[3] (use 'bzip2 -cd file | xwud' to
Additionally, there's a font test page[4] as seen by system A[5] and
system B[6]. Notice how helvetica and times look bad on system A.

Regards, Jukka

bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~