Subject: Removing obsolete packages
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/19/2004 00:16:55
A lot of cruft have gathered in pkgsrc over the years, and I think it
is time to do some cleaning.

I have discussed this with some of the other developers, and we
have put together a list of packages that we nominate for removal.
Our removal criteria have been
* obsolete packages that already have newer versions in pkgsrc
* obsolete packages that have security problems
* obsolete unmaintained buggy/non-functional packages

You may disagree with our wish to delete some of these packages.
If so, please send me (and this list) a mail telling us why the
package should stay, and I'll will remove it from the list.
The packages still on the list at May 31 will be removed.

I will not add any packages to this list at this time, but I plan to
do quarterly cleanups, so suggestions of additional packages to
remove will be added on the next list (in July).

   /Krister

cross/m68k-netbsd
  You don't need a pkg to cross-compile NetBSD.

devel/chkpt
  Unmaintained since 1999, and does only work on NetBSD 1.[45] (and
  does have problem on most architectures)

devel/mit-pthreads
devel/unproven-pthreads.
  Unmaintained packages that do not work on most of the targets for
  pkgsrc.  And there are much better threading packages in pkgsrc,

graphics/water
graphics/plasma
  Old buggy SDL demo, that is meaningless as a stand-alone application.

games/packman
  Distfile not available, and the game was written just as a tech-demo
  for an obsolete version of ClanLib anyway.

lang/egcs
  This (very old) gcc version has problems on most architectures, and
  newer versions are in pkgsrc.

math/rlab
  has been broken for a loong time (because it relies on the API from
  older version of superlu not in pkgsrc any longer).

misc/drwright
  It's included in GNOME since 2.4.  So it has little use (if any) as a
  standalone package.  Looking at the webpage, the last news
  are about its inclusion in GNOME 2.4, so there will be no more
  releases as is, AFAICT.

misc/dsbr100
  Support for the D-Link DSB-R100 USB radio on NetBSD 1.[45] (newer
  NetBSD versions have built-in support). It is believed that all
  users have upgraded to newer NetBSD versions.

net/archie
net/xarchie
  There does not exist any public archie servers these days.

net/netatalk-umic
net/netatalk-sun
  These are ancient. net/netatalk is the updated, supported
  version of net/netatalk-asun.

security/rsaref
  This is no longer useful. It's also very old and no longer
  maintained or audited.

security/openssh+gssapi
  gssapi support is standard in the latest openssh

security/ssh
  This is also very old, and no longer maintained or audited.
  It only supports SSHv1.

sysutils/c++rt0
  Contains a bugfixed /usr/lib/c++rt0.o for NetBSD/sparc 1.4.[012].
  Users should upgrade to NetBSD 1.4.3 or newer.

sysutils/sysbuild
  It only "works" for NetBSD 1.6, and to get it working for 2.0 could
  require a full rewrite of the code.  Besides, build.sh has improved
  a lot lately...

www/arena
  Unusable.

www/Mosaic
  This would be worth keeping, if only it were updated to use
  OpenMotif and IPv6. Oh wait, it has (www/mMosaic).

x11/lesstif12
  This package is only used by www/Mosaic, it's huge, and not
  maintained. OpenMotif lately supports most programs written
  for Motif1.2 anyhow.