Subject: problems with apache2 + php4
To: None <>
From: Chris Jones <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/17/2004 16:20:46
I've been seeing these problems for a while now:  When httpd receives a
SIGHUP, it dumps core.  This means that "apachectl restart" and probably
"apachectl graceful" don't work.  By extension, newsyslog crashes
apache, and "/etc/rc.d/apache restart" kills it.

This problem involves memory handling in PCRE, and it's described here:

FreeBSD have a patch here:

I'm testing the FreeBSD patch now, but my machine is kind of slow; I may
not have results for a while.  Also, it would be nice if another set of
eyeballs could look at this patch.  Any volunteers?

Chris Jones
     PGP ID 5AFDD40A