Subject: editors/pico build failure on MacOSX 10.2.8
To: None <>
From: Mark E. Perkins <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/16/2004 16:01:26
I guess this isn't my day for Pine and friends.... It looks as if
editors/pine is failing because it cannot find [n]curses:

*** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.
*** Future versions of Libtool will require -mode=MODE be specified.
gcc -O2 -g -DDEBUG -Dbsd -DJOB_CONTROL main.o -o .libs/pico
./.libs/libpico.dylib -L/Volumes/NetBSD/pkgsrc/editors/pico/work/.buildlink/lib
ld: Undefined symbols:
*** Error code 1

make: stopped in /Volumes/NetBSD/pkgsrc/editors/pico/work/pine4.60/pico
*** Error code 1

bmake: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/editors/pico
*** Error code 1

bmake: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/editors/pico

The only curses libraries available are those that came from Apple. My
*limited* understanding of the pkgsrc mk structure leads me to believe that
the editors/pico/Makefile is stating a dependency on devel/ncurses, but
that the dependency is not being enforced, and
editors/pico/work/.buildlink/lib is empty, which is not the case on a
NetBSD/mac68k system where pico built susscessfully.

I'll install devel/ncurses and see if that helps, but the missing lib links
don't give me much hope.