Subject: Re: Building without "modern" font support
To: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.unixbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/16/2004 10:53:54
On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 05:48:55AM +0200, Juan RP wrote:
> > Why is that? Besides of bugs in pkgsrc patches or laziness of authors?
>
> The second one :)

Well, all problems I encountered where easy to solve.

My original question was more like: is it possible to have gtk2 build *without*
any of this stupid font libraries that manage to break their API in every
release? I don't care for antialiased fonts, since they look ugly for me
anyway (see below).

> I don't understand what you mean by "good font output". I use
> pkgsrc/fonts/ms-ttf and vera bitstream fonts under all gtk2/qt applications,
> and the quality is good (IMHO) and enough for me.

I'm not using qt, just plain gnome2. The font rendering is ugly, i.e. you can
actually see the antialiasing happen in big color steps, compared to say any
stupid windows box, where you can check the "smooth fonts" checkbox and have
brilliant, font rendering, with no imediately visible color steps due to
antialiasing. Furthermore, with scaled fonts, the X text selection becomes
dog slow. I bet you won't notice on your shiny new 3 GHz i386 machine ;-)

So, I can live with fixed size fonts only - if it would save me rebuild pain.
Can it be done?

Martin