Subject: Re: Building without "modern" font support
To: Martin Husemann <>
From: Juan RP <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/15/2004 10:44:16

On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:36:00 +0200
Martin Husemann <> wrote:

> [I asked a very similar question on tech-x11, but did not crosspost]
> Hi folks, this may sound a bit sarcastic, but I actually mean it serious:
> In my experience it is ~impossible to get good font rendering for
> scalable
> fonts with xsrc and pkgsrc.
> On the other hand, the stupid incompatible changes in freetype/fontconfig
> API/ABI of the day cause no end of pain when rebuilding pkgs.
> Could we please get a /etc/mk.conf knob to force as much pkgs as possible
> to build without the freetype/fontconfig nonsense?

I agree with you, but we cannot make this... because for example using the
xsrc freetype you cannot install graphics/gimp, or gnome2, etc.

If you are having troubles with xsrc, why don't you try
pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/XFree86? they are built without freetype/fontconfig, etc,
except Mesa.

Oh BTW all works fine for me using pkgsrc... (Yes, I have installed
freetype and friends from pkgsrc and xsrc, but does it matter? on these
days we have GB on the HD not MB :).

	Juan RP <>

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)