Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/12/2004 15:02:18
On Wed, 12 May 2004, Jan Schaumann wrote:

: > Modified Files:
: > 	pkgsrc/mk: defs.AIX.mk defs.BSDOS.mk defs.Darwin.mk defs.FreeBSD.mk
: > 	    defs.IRIX.mk defs.Interix.mk defs.Linux.mk defs.NetBSD.mk
: > 	    defs.OpenBSD.mk defs.SunOS.mk defs.UnixWare.mk
: >
: > Log Message:
: > Mention how SETGIDGAME and the other GAME vars are set per default.
: > Add commented-out definitions for all OPSYS - please adjust.
:
: ...following agc's suggestion.

Will games also be fixed to add

USE_PKGINSTALL=yes
PKG_GROUPS=${GAMEGRP}

appropriately?  Interix, for instance, has no suitable group for setgid
games by default, so it would still have to be added at package install
time.  I can't put PKG_GROUPS in your conditional block, because that would
thwack all packages, not just games needing setgid behavior.

If PKG_GROUPS were added where appropriate to auto-create the group (and
perhaps MAKE_DIRS_PERMS to make /var/games for you), you could set a simple
default of GAMEGRP?=games in bsd.pkg.mk and not worry about opsys-specific
changes unless a specific opsys needs an override.

As I noted in the other thread, please take a look at what I did for
games/xbill for a very easy example of this.

==

On a related note:  GAMEOWN should default to ${BINOWN} -- or ideally, not
be configurable separately from ${BINOWN} at all.

It's set_G_id, not setuid, so I see little point in installing them as any
"special" uid.  (We have enough *OWN variables as it is.  :)  NetBSD's
"src/games", for instance, uses ${BINOWN} as-is rather than yet another
separate uid.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>