Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk
To: Jan Schaumann <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/12/2004 15:02:18
On Wed, 12 May 2004, Jan Schaumann wrote:

: > Modified Files:
: > 	pkgsrc/mk:
: >
: >
: >
: > Log Message:
: > Mention how SETGIDGAME and the other GAME vars are set per default.
: > Add commented-out definitions for all OPSYS - please adjust.
: ...following agc's suggestion.

Will games also be fixed to add

appropriately?  Interix, for instance, has no suitable group for setgid
games by default, so it would still have to be added at package install
time.  I can't put PKG_GROUPS in your conditional block, because that would
thwack all packages, not just games needing setgid behavior.

If PKG_GROUPS were added where appropriate to auto-create the group (and
perhaps MAKE_DIRS_PERMS to make /var/games for you), you could set a simple
default of GAMEGRP?=games in and not worry about opsys-specific
changes unless a specific opsys needs an override.

As I noted in the other thread, please take a look at what I did for
games/xbill for a very easy example of this.

On a related note:  GAMEOWN should default to ${BINOWN} -- or ideally, not
be configurable separately from ${BINOWN} at all.

It's set_G_id, not setuid, so I see little point in installing them as any
"special" uid.  (We have enough *OWN variables as it is.  :)  NetBSD's
"src/games", for instance, uses ${BINOWN} as-is rather than yet another
separate uid.

-- Todd Vierling <> <>