Subject: Re: packages to install restricted files instead of NO_BIN_ON_*
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/12/2004 14:48:21
On Wed, 12 May 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

: It would be useful to have some packages that include simple shell scripts
: (like fetch-list) software that we can't place on our CDs or FTP servers,
: such as realplayer-codecs-8 package.

: Any thoughts on this?

Sounds like a job for a package that looks like a meta-package (no PLIST
contents), but not quite.  This could be done by creating the appropriate
script to fetch-and-install as an INSTALL fragment, then setting

USE_PKGINSTALL=yes
INSTALL_EXTRA_TMPL=${PKGDIR}/yourscriptname

You would probably want to add FETCH_CMD to FILES_SUBST to get it in the
special script.  That would likely be the best "fetch URL X" command to use
depending on the target system.

The rest of what you'd need to do would take a little inspection and manual
work.  If all the affected files live in a single directory, you could set
that as an OWN_DIRS and let pkginstall clean it up for you at pkg_delete
time -- this is probably the most likely case.  If not, you may need to put
appropriate ${RM} commands in a DEINSTALL_EXTRA_TMPL script to nuke the
correct files.

...That's the technical explanation.  Policy, however, is not something on
which I have a say.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>