Subject: Re: using pkgsrc under Linux: what's the minimal ?
To: Pierre Bourgin <pierre.bourgin@pcotech.fr>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/12/2004 09:49:29
Hello Pierre,

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Pierre Bourgin wrote:

> I would like to know how people who are using pkgsrc under Linux install
> their Linux system, and which Linux "packages" (depending on distro. they
> use) are *really* required to have a minimal usable environment (that will
> be completed with pkgsrc-packages, of course).

I have used Debian Linux a few times. I used an old SuSE once and I used a
Slackware (9 I think) too.

Have a look at http://users.piuha.net/martti/comp/slackware/slackware.html
as some ideas.

Now I just uses a live CD and manually prepare the system and extract
pre-made tarballs to get a simple Linux system up.

> And does pkgsrc packages may replace gcc for instance ? XFree  ? nfs-utils ?

And I use pkgsrc packages for everything. (See my pkgsrc-wip package for
linux-nfs-utils. Also see iptables, vixie-cron, linux-makedev,
linux-module-init-tools, et cetera.)

> I don't think it's possible to build a Linux machine only with pkgsrc right
> now, but at which degree is it possible to "go down" ?

It is possible to build a Linux machine using only pkgsrc (including
pkgsrc-wip) right now.

See my webpage at http://linux.pugetsoundtechnology.com/faq/

My wife is using a gxine plugin to watch a RealPlayer streaming video
through firefox-gtk2 under xfce4 on a Linux system where every single
component was built using pkgsrc on another build system and installed on
her system with pkg_add.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/