Subject: Re: executable shlibs (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/zlib)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/08/2004 18:26:42
On Fri, 7 May 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

: > nb1: install shlib as executable.
:
: I recall reading some other message about this earlier.

Yes, likely from me.  The problem is that Interix *requires* it (in the vein
of old SunOS and other earlier shlib implementations).

: Every once in a while I see ":ldd: warning: you do not have execution
: permission for ..." when I do ldd.

Right, except that Linux will still *execute* the libraries fine -- thus
allowing software authors to get lazy.  8-)

: bzip2-1.0.2	libbz2.so.0.0
: libiconv-1.9.1nb1	libcharset.so.1.0
: libiconv-1.9.1nb1	libiconv.so.4.0
: tcp_wrappers-7.6.1nb1	libwrap.so.7.6
: tiff-3.6.1	libtiff.so.3.6
: tiff-3.6.1nb1	libtiff.so.3.6
: zlib-1.2.1	libz.so.1.2

These were fixed.

: rsaref-2.0p3	librsaref.so.3.0

<cackle>  I don't know if I care anymore.  8-)

I plan to fix them as I find them.  I have a script checking for me while I
build stuff on Interix.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>