Subject: Re: executable shlibs (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/zlib)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/08/2004 18:26:42
On Fri, 7 May 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

: > nb1: install shlib as executable.
: I recall reading some other message about this earlier.

Yes, likely from me.  The problem is that Interix *requires* it (in the vein
of old SunOS and other earlier shlib implementations).

: Every once in a while I see ":ldd: warning: you do not have execution
: permission for ..." when I do ldd.

Right, except that Linux will still *execute* the libraries fine -- thus
allowing software authors to get lazy.  8-)

: bzip2-1.0.2
: libiconv-1.9.1nb1
: libiconv-1.9.1nb1
: tcp_wrappers-7.6.1nb1
: tiff-3.6.1
: tiff-3.6.1nb1
: zlib-1.2.1

These were fixed.

: rsaref-2.0p3

<cackle>  I don't know if I care anymore.  8-)

I plan to fix them as I find them.  I have a script checking for me while I
build stuff on Interix.

-- Todd Vierling <> <>