Subject: Re: Processor types and uname data on AIX (proposed change)
To: rawallis@comcast.net, Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@NetBSD.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/08/2004 15:12:10
--Z1OTrj3C7qypP14j

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 06:40:36PM -0400, rawallis@comcast.net wrote:

> The 4 and 5 should not be required if you use the bootinfo command like t=
he following:
> AIX)
> 	MACHINE_ARCH=3D`bootinfo -T`
> esac
> The bootinfo command is supported in AIX 3,4, and 5. If you use it, we ge=
t AIX 3 support for free.
> This would also eliminate the incompatibilty between pkgsrc packages in A=
IX 4 and 5. The added bonus is
> that a package compiled(correctly), the resultant binaries would be trans=
ferrable between the RS/6000
> and later POWER chips.=20
> This would very nice for us who still use AIX 3 on a daily basis and don'=
t want to wait for hell to=20
> freeze over for binaries to compile on older machines.

this sounds like a good idea and we can always s/rspc/powerpc/ for
consistency with the newer versions (assuming they mean the same thing
and are binary compatible).

Eric Haszlakiewicz added the initial support for AIX. do you have any
comment on this, Eric?

grant.

--Z1OTrj3C7qypP14j

--Z1OTrj3C7qypP14j--