Subject: Re: How to specify variable ending on whitespace?
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/06/2004 10:41:01

Jan Schaumann <> wrote:
> _OPSYS_RPATH_NAME is used in several ways.  On the one hand, it's used
> to specify the flags to the *compiler* which flags are to be passed on
> to the linker, ie '-Wl,${_OPSYS_RPATH_NAME}'.  In this instance, the
> correct flags for MIPSPro compilers would be '-Wl,-rpath,/path'.
> Setting _OPSYS_RPATH_NAME to "-rpath " would not work, in this scenario
> (nor did using two '-Wl' flags (as "-Wl,-rpath -Wl,/path"), which is why
> we set _OPSYS_RPATH_NAME to "-rpath," for Irix to begin with).
> The problem occurs if we are not calling the compiler but the linker
> directly.  The "-Wl,foo,bar" should be turned into "-foo bar" for the
> linker, but we end up with "-foo,bar".
> Buildlink3's ld-post-logic should take care of this.  Oddly, though, it
> doesn't.

I think the problem I described was caused by an internal variable
_COMPILER_LD_FLAGS not being defined for MIPSPro in
pkgsrc/mk/compiler/  This resulted in LDFLAGS containing "
-rpath,/path", rather than "-Wl,-rpath,/path".  So after fixing this,
the problem goes away and buildlink3 works as intended.

Life," said Marvin, "don't talk to me about life."

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)