Subject: Re: Proposal: SYSTEMBASE
To: Dave <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/05/2004 11:54:34
On Sat, 1 May 2004, Dave wrote:

> > When talking with Jeremy Reed regarding the Linux packages, it occurred to
> > me that an OS built entirely from pkgsrc has some rather different needs
> > from an OS that uses pkgsrc for third-party software only.  So I've been
> > thinking:
> >
> > How about a new set of variables intended to be used (some for packages,
> > some for mk.conf) to indicate when packages should be installed to /usr?
> > I'll call this variable set SYSTEMBASE.
>
> My initial reaction is "nice".  I've been pondering building a
> pkgsrc-based Linux for some time because I've been entirely dissatisfied
> with all the existing Linux flavors (which is why I came to NetBSD in the
> first place).

Well if you'd like to help with my not-yet-named pkgsrc-based Linux,
please do.

I have some notes starting at
http://linux.pugetsoundtechnology.com/faq/

Also there are some download mirrors via
http://linux.pugetsoundtechnology.com/download/

Soon I'll make a simple single tarball containing enough to get a running
Linux system up. And I need to upload a real glibc package.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/