Subject: Re: Linux specific in pkgsrc and audio/arts under Linux detects libasound
To: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.unixbsd.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/30/2004 17:47:21
--aFi3jz1oiPowsTUB

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 08:01:54AM +0200, Juan RP wrote:

> > I'd like to import alsa-lib (and maybe alsa-utils) to official pkgsrc.
> > Then add a simple if ${OPSYS} is Linux then use the alsa-lib/buildlink3=
.mk
> > file in arts.
> >=20
> > Any opinions about having some Linux-specific packages in pkgsrc?
>=20
> I don't have any objection about this (but who cares about my opinion?! :=
-),
> but I'd suggest creating a new subdirectory "linux".

that really goes against our existing categorisation and packages we
already have. linux/ would imply segregation, rather than unification,
and we aim to achieve unification wherever possible...

a lot of "linux-specific" packages evolve to be able to be used on
other platforms later, be it through porting or compat_linux (and
whatever it's called on FreeBSD, etc..).

there are already a number of (currently) {linux,solaris,etc.}-only
packages in pkgsrc. adding new packages is a good thing, regardless of
what platform they work on. :)

grant.

--aFi3jz1oiPowsTUB

--aFi3jz1oiPowsTUB--