Subject: Re: pkgconfig and pkgviews
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/27/2004 12:19:07
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> >  +# define location for *.pc files -- needed when using pkgviews
> >  +CONFIGURE_ARGS+=       --libdir=${LOCALBASE}/lib
> >
> > And now it works when running manually.
>
> This is IMHO wrong, because only works for the default view.

Although I have been using pkgviews for only about almost two weeks, I
didn't think about or even try different "views".

> The only solution I see to this is to define a global environment variable,
> say VIEWBASE, that the user can set to point to their view (in general,
> /usr/pkg).  We'd have to modify several packages to honour it, but it could
> be good to have, I think.

That seems like a good idea.

But before someone modifies the pkg-config tool to use it, should I use
the following?

+CONFIGURE_ARGS+=       --libdir=${VIEWBASE}/lib

(This VIEWBASE is different from the shell environment
variable that is not in use yet.)

What other packages may need ot have a global environment variable?

Now that I think about it, maybe a global environment variable is not
needed. If the user is using a different view, would that mean they are
also using a different pkg-config tool?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/